- pounds of squash (big butternut squash)
- Tablespoon coconut oil
- cup finely chopped onion
- cloves garlic minced
- tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- cups cooked chicken
- cups chicken broth
- can of coconut milk
- teaspoons curry powder
- sea salt to taste
- a combination of brown rice, quinoa, amaranth or millet
- Cut squash in half, remove seeds. Put squash halves with cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake in 325 degree oven for 45 minutes. Turn squash halves cut side up. Bake for 45 minutes more until the squash has pulled away from the skin and is mushy. Cool and peel off the skin. Mash with a potato masher. Sometimes it is too lumpy. Then I put it in a blender with some of the chicken broth.
- In large pot cook onion in olive oil until clear. Stir in garlic and ginger and cook for a minute more. Add squash, broth, chicken, curry and coconut milk. Cook and stir until heated.
- Serve soup over a mixture of grains of your choice.