Recipe Night April 28, 2016 : Breakfasts
Our Version of ‘Holy Crap’ Cereal
- 1 cup buckwheat grouts
- 1/2 cup raw shelled hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/3 cup milled flax seeds
- 1/2 cup dried fruit of choice: cranberry, blueberry, cherry, apple, fig
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Mix all ingredients to together and store in a container.
Note: If you are a chocolate lover, add 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder to the mix. You can also add chopped nuts to the mix if you like.
To serve: scoop the cereal in a bowl and pour milk of choice, (almond, coconut, organic milk), over top. Let the cereal sit a few minutes before digging in.
This cereal is very filling so start by using only a portion of a serving you would usually eat for breakfast.
Sweet Potato Power Bowl
- 3-4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- organic yogurt, 2 percent fat or higher
- dash of cinnamon
- shelled hemp seeds, chia seeds and raw pumpkin seeds
Scrub the sweet potatoes then place them on a cookie sheet. Using a fork, pierce the tops of the sweet potatoes. Bake the potatoes in the oven at 375 F. for about 20 – 30 minutes. The potatoes will be done when you can easily pierce through them with a fork and the potatoes begin to carmelize. Remove from the oven.
When the potatoes are cool to the touch, peel them and diced them into 1/2 inch or 1 inch cubes. Spread them out on the bottom of a container and scoop a light layer of yogurt on top. Next, sprinkle a little cinnamon on top.
To serve, top the sweet potato mixture with a combination of hemp seeds, chia seeds and pumpkin seeds.
Chocolate Zucchini and Walnut Loaf
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup xylitol
- 3 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup oil: melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1&1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, blend the first six dry ingredients and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the next four wet ingredients.
- Blend the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Next add the shredded zucchini and the walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf pan and bake a 350 F. for about 45 minutes. The loaf is done when a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the loaf.
Note: This zucchini bread is not very sweet. If you prefer a sweeter loaf, add ½ cup of dried berries of choice, and/or increase the xylitol from 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup.
Baked Breakfast Oatmeal Squares
- 3 cups steel cut oats
- 6 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups of water
- 2 cups milk of choice, (I used almond)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 eggs beaten
- 12-15 drops of stevia, (I used vanilla flavoured)
- 1 cup dried fruit of choice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flaxseed, cinnamon, nutmeg and water. Allow the mixture to sit for several hours.
- Next, blend the milk, vanilla, eggs and stevia. Pour into oat mixture and blend.
- Add the dried fruit and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 inch pan and bake at 350 F. for about 45 minutes.
- When cool enough cut into squares.
Serve squares as they are or spoon lemon yogurt and berries over top.
Berries and Lemon Yogurt
- assorted berries
- organic, non-homogenized yogurt, at least 2% or more fat
- 1-2 lemons
- stevia drops
- Wash berries and pat dry. Place in bowl.
- Scoop 1& 1/2 cup of yogurt into another bowl. Add about 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice and 12-14 drops of liquid Stevia.
- Serve berries with spooned over top.
Note: You can also sprinkle your berry bowls with assorted nuts and seeds.
For an extra special occasion, add dark chocolate chips.
For the tortillas:
- One package of 4 inch corn tortillas – organic or GMO free
- Refried Beans – I used Eden Organic or make your own
- Fried eggs – one for each tortilla – I used avocado oil to fry
Set up a topping station with some or all of the following topping choices:
avocado slices, guacamole, salsa, chopped peppers, chopped green onions, diced tomatoes, grated cheese, plain organic yogurt or sour cream, pickled hot peppers
Spread the refried beans over the top of each tortilla.
Fry the eggs and place one on every tortilla topped with the beans.
Allow each breakfast guest to choose their toppings.