Recipe Night – February 23, 2016 – Pre-Cooking Meals
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Peanut Butter Stew (Core)
- 1 bunch of green onions, sliced (including the green tips)
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large pepper, seeded and chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into ½ inch pieces
- 2 – 3 cups raw spinach, (chop if leaves are large)
- 1/2 cup dried brown or green lentils
- 1/2 cup whole grain of choice, (I used a mixture of brown rice and quinoa)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 jar passata, (strained tomatoes)
- 1 carton vegetable broth (chicken okay if not vegetarian)
Place all the ingredients into a slow cooker and stir. Cook on low for 6 hours.
The stew can be frozen.
Slow Cooker Asian Shredded Chicken (Advance)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 traspoon balck pepper
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (I use San-J organic gluten free tamari)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1-2 cups broccoli slaw mix
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Combined the garlic, pepper, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil. Pour the mixture over the chicken. Cook on low for approximately 7 hours. The juices should run clear when the chicken is pierced with a fork. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Using 2 forks, shred the meat and then, return it to the sauce.
To serve, toss with the broccoli slaw and red pepper.
Note: Can be wrapped in large lettuce leaves (or a quality tortilla if on a core diet).
Recipe from the Grand Magazine)
Southwest Beans and Chicken Stew (Core Recipe Using a Slow Cooker)
- 2 chicken beasts (about 1 pound) or pork roast
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 can organic corn
- 1 cup salsa (no sugar added)
- 1 tsp. hot pepper flakes
- pinch of pepper
Optional toppings for serving:
Salsa, diced avocado, diced onions, diced peppers
Place the chicken on the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour the tomatoes and salsa over the chicken. Layer the beans and corn on top. Cook on low for 5 or 6 hours or until the chicken easily falls apart. Before serving, remove the chicken and use a fork to shred the chicken. Once shredded, return the chicken to the crock pot and combine with the other ingredients.
Serve over a healthy grain with the suggested toppings, or, in a wrap or lettuce wrap.
Healing Turmeric Dressing (Advanced)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 3 inches turmeric, grated
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- liquid stevia to taste
Blend all ingredients together and use for salads.
Recipe from drhardick.com