- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1/3 cup raw unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup whole chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, optional
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract, optional
- 1 cup raw slivered almonds or raw shelled pistachios
- a heaping 1/4 cup of peanut butter
- Place dates in bowl of food processor; purée until thick paste forms. Add cocoa powder, chia seeds, and vanilla and almond extracts, if using. Pulse until all ingredients are combined. Add almonds; pulse until nuts are finely chopped and well distributed through date mixture.
- Spread large sheet of wax paper into a 9×9 square pan. Transfer date mixture to wax paper, and use paper to press mixture into the pan. Wrap tightly, and chill in freezer.
- Unwrap block, and cut into squares and refrigerate.