- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 parsnip, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely choped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 6 cooked beets, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Saute all the vegetables except the beets in the olive oil until they are tender. Add the cooked beets, salt and pepper and the soup stock. Bring the soup to a boil and cook for about another ten minutes. Cool slightly. Puree the soup and add the lemon juice.
- Serve the soup warm or cold with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt and chopped chives.
- The intense red colour of the soup is a great choice for Christmas or Valentine’s Day. Use heart or star cookie cutters to make floating pieces of toast form your favourite healthy bread.