- 4 cups of water
- 4 cups of fat free, low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups of green lentils
- 2 tsp. of olive oil
- 2 cups of minced onion (1 large Spanish)
- 1 cup of carrots diced
- 2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary (or to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ lb Italian turkey sausage
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- Dash of ground red pepper (adjust or omit for heat)
- Combine 4 cups water, broth and lentils in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook 30 minutes or until almost tender.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over med-high heat. Add onion, rosemary and garlic to pan. Add sausage, cook 5 minutes stirring to crumble. Add tomato paste and remaining ingredients. Cook until heated (almost 1 minute). Add sausage mixture to lentils, bring to a boil. Cook for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Can be double or tripled. Reheat and freeze well.