- 4 cups baked spaghetti squash – one large squash should do it
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup peeled and shredded apples, (green apples if you can)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon each of sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk, use almond or rice
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
*Hot pepper flakes served on the side
- On a cookie sheet, bake the squash in the oven at around 450 F. until it is tender when you pierce a fork through it. Allow it to cool, then cut it open and scoop out the seeds. Use a fork to scoop out the squash strands, i.e., your spaghetti. Set aside.
- In a large stovetop pot, add the oil, garlic, mushrooms and apple and cook until the apples are soft. Add the almond flour, spices, and milk and cook an additional few minutes. Remove from the heat and blend in the mozzarella and spaghetti squash.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased casserole dish. Cover the top of the casserole with the thinly sliced tomatoes, then sprinkle the casserole with the parmesan cheese. Bake at around 325 F. for approximately 30 minutes.
*Serve with hot pepper flakes on the side and extra parmesan cheese.