- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped, peeled butternut squash 1 minimum chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp. each chili powder and pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 can (19 oz) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (19oz) chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 4 cups of vegetable stock, low sodium
- Lemon zest from a lemon
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Fry cumin for 1 minute
- Add squash, min. garlic, chili powder, pepper and salt. Fry stirring occasionally until cumin is softened about 5 minutes
- Add Tomato paste. Cook stirring for 1 minute. Add lentils, chickpeas, stock and lemon zest. Cover and simmer until squash is tender, almost 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle in parsley, squeeze lemon juice on top and serve with whole grain bread.