- 4 T. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 large onion – finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger root – grated (or 1 tsp. dry)
- 1 celery stalk – finely chopped
- 1 large carrot – finely grated
- 2 T. tamari or soy sauce
- 4 leaves kale – chopped or ½ cup finely chopped broccoli
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1 large sweet potato – grated
- ¾ cup coconut flour or flour of choice
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a large pan sauté onion, garlic and ginger in the sesame oil until softened.
- Add in the carrots, celery and tamari.
- Turn the heat to low and add the kale once the veggies are just about ready and allow the kale to be softened.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the cooked vegetables with the ground meat, sweet potatoes, flour and eggs.
- Fill lined cupcake pans with the mixture or use a well greased loaf pan.
- Bake for approx 30 minutes.
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms Burgers
- 1 package Portobello mushroom caps (4-6)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari sauce (similar to soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary, (or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 1 ½ steak seasoning spice
- 4-6 thick slices red onion
- your choice of real cheese thinly sliced (4-6)
- 4 thin slices tomato
- ½ avocado, thinly sliced, sprinkled with lemon juice
- optional: large lettuce leaves, collard leaves or cabbage leaves for wraps
- In a large bowl, whish together vinegar, tamari sauce, avocado oil, rosemary, and steak spice. Evenly coat the mushrooms and onions with this mixture.
- Place the mushrooms and onions on a hot grill. Grill for 5 – 7 minutes on each side, re-coating side with the remaining marinade. Top the mushrooms with the cheese during the last minute of cooking.
- Remove veggies from the grill. Top each mushroom with an onion, tomato and avocado slice.
Optional: To make wraps, cut mushrooms in half, them wrap in large leaves. If you are on the core diet, you can use non-wheat wraps.
The Half and Half Burger
- 1 pound pastured ground beef, pork or chicken (we like a mixture of beef and pork.)
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 large handful chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil, coconut oil or grape seed oil
- In a frying pan, saute the vegetables and spices in the oil until the vegetables are soft. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetable mixture, ground meat and the parmesan cheese. Mix well and form into patties. Grill the patties on low to prevent charring.